[linux-dvb] Re: Generating progressive video

Michael Plagge wrote:

> Can the hardware decoder on a DVB-card perform progressive decoding?

The av7110 docs are not very clear about this, but I think yes.

> If not, is there information in a mpeg stream about the original video
> data source (telecine material or tv-camera) for film mode detection,

There is a frame_rate and a progressive_flag. However,
progressive_flag=1 means "this stream contains progressive frames
only", while progressive_flag=0 means "the stream can contain
progressive and interlaces frames" ;-(

> and is this information available via the dvb-driver?

The frame rate yes. The progressive flag not (yet).
(The progressive_flag is in the sequence_extension header.)

> If such information can be contained in a mpeg stream (perhaps a flag or
> something else), are there at all tv-stations which provide such
> informations correctly ?

I wouldn't count on it.

You should get the MPEG2 Video Compresson standard (ISO-13818-2
or ITU-T H.262).

Johannes