[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > The problem is that the av7110 hardware does not support TS playback.
> > The driver tries to work around this by remuxing the TS into PES and
> > feeding PES to the hardware. IMHO this code should be dropped rather
> > than attempted to fix. Remuxing should be done in user space. VDR
> > does the right thing.
>
> calling the PES unpacking process a 'remuxing' is kind of flattered,

Right, it is actually demuxing and PES packaging.

> not? Forcing everybody to misuse the lowlevel-API instead of highlevel
> access just because the av711x driver is broken has the unlovely side
> effect that on well-designed hardware that can eat PS and TS directly
> the code will still do all the protocol handling and bit-twiddling on
> the host processor, the dedicated hardware will run idle.

I don't know what you mean. Usually you advocate tiny drivers that
just make the capabilites of the hardware available to userspace.

Sure, it would be cool if VDR would be changed so it supports
other hardware just as good as the av7110 cards. But IMHO VDR
should use PES playback on av7110 cards, and TS playback on hardware
that support it. Doing TS->PES conversion in the driver is wrong.

> The Avia processor and all modern STB CPUs can process multiplexed
> streams directly.

Some of the cheaper variants of "modern" STB chips don't process
TS from RAM, just from the frontend inputs.

Johannes