[linux-dvb] Re: problem with 1.1.1 and VDR grab

Hello Peter,

On 03/12/04 10:22, Peter Siering wrote:
Can you please send me oops?

I am not sure, how to do that? May be just that:
[...]

Yes, thanks.

Can you give me some informations about your system?
- kernel version used

2.4.24

- kernel patches applied

plain Debian plus Gerd Knorrs V4L2 patches (as I wrote in my first post,
the same Kernel(+Patches) works as expected with DVB 1.1.0).
Sorry, I missed that piece of information.

Ok, but this explains your problems. Gerd Knorr regularly improves the v4l2 helper modules (like video-buf, v4l2-common or v4l1-compat) or incorporates my fixes.

He regularly creates patches against recent 2.4 kernels, but he *doesn't* create patches against older versions, ie. the patches against 2.4.24 and 2.4.25 contain differences.

When 2.4.25 came out, I took his latest improvements and incorporated it into the DVB tree. The problem now is, that the in-kernel modules for 2.4.24 are compiled against different header files than the DVB drivers from the release. This is screaming for problems.

One solution is to upgrade to 2.4.25 and use the CVS version of the "dvb-kernel" tree. (Not the release, because some bugfixes are missing)

Or you take 2.6.4 and apply the patches from the "patches-2.6" directory from "dvb-kernel" CVS.

I can confirm that 1.1.1 contains a bug that produces a kernel oops through the v4l1 compatibility layer when using "kvdr". Taking a snapshot via "space" then quitting the application will cause a kernel oops.

I'm working on it, the fix for preventing the oops is easy. But it looks like "kvdr" needs to be changed in order to work after that change.

If you like to, I could give it try.
I apologize for the current problems. The problems are due to the fact that most applications are still Video4Linux-1 specific, so all stuff goes through the compatibility layer until it reaches the DVB Video4Linux-2 driver. I recently added some resource management to get the driver more robust and a lot of hidden bugs are now triggered.

I admit that it was unfortunate to do this before the releases, but now we have to live with it. Be assured that I'm really interested to fix all these problems.

If you're not bound to 2.4, please try 2.6.4 and the patches I mentioned above. Otherwise update to 2.4.25 and use a recent CVS driver.

Thanks,
Peter
CU
Michael.