[linux-dvb] Re: DVB Branch

Hello,

On 20.03.2004 03:00, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
I was wondering about when the DVB branch will be phased out of development?
Development isn't taking place in that branch anymore, just bugfixes are done.

Essentially, it's not really needed anymore, since the 1.1.0 release is out, or are you just keeping it around for incompatability reasons?
Although people out there are currently using "dvb-kernel", kernel 2.6 or the 1.1.0 release (which are essentially the same) successfully, some people seem to have problems with these drivers.

Especially users that stress their hardware with VDR often report problems and then go "back to the stable "DVB" drivers.

Some other problems were created by the Video4Linux-1 to Video4Linux-2 transition, but I'm working hard to work all bugs out and get old Video4Linux-1 applications to work again through the compatibility layer.

What about just tarring up the DVB branch for reference at linuxtv.org, and removing the old stuff from CVS?
The 1.0.x releases are the reference "DVB" branches. When major bugs are fixed, perhaps another 1.0.x release is done, but I don't know.

With kernel 2.6 becoming more and more popular, users are being "forced" to use 1.1.x anyway ("dvb-kernel"). Perhaps then bug reports will increase and we have the chance to sort these kind of problems out.

Kenneth
CU
Michael.