[linux-dvb] LinuxDVB V4 API questions II

Having spent some more time looking at, considering and discussing the V4 API there are a couple more 'significant' questions which arise.

1) The DEMUX -> DECODER linkage : what mechanisms are supported/promoted for transferring data between these components.  The API needs to bear in mind that these can and often will be separate unconnected pieces of hardware/software.  To this end I am assuming that there will be support for both a read/write API and some form of buffer mapping ?

2) Audio implementation.  I am curious why you have decided to implement an Audio API rather than adopt the decoder / renderer separation that exists for video.  As there are a number of well defined API's to support video/graphics rendering it makes sense to decouple the presentation of the data from the LinuxDVB API and leave it up to the decoder.  So, following that line of reasoning, why was the same approach not taken with audio ?  There are a number of well defined Audio presentation/rendering API's available - for example the ALSA API.  It would seem to make more sense - less work - and for a more coherent and holistically consistent solution to leave the presentation of the audio to the audio API's...

Regards

Ali Farmer