[linux-dvb] V4 API suggestion [was:dec2000-t (and perhaps dec3000 and dec2450) playback]

> I wrote some code to convert mpeg2 pes packets (or a program stream)
> into pva packets so that a hauppauge/tt dec2000-t can playback it. The
> output seems to be correct. But as I'm not working on the dec2000-t
> playback thing anymore and I got no response from Alex, who wrote the
> ttusb-dec module, I post the code here just in case anyone wants to
> finish the job.

Thanks Ulf.  Sorry for not getting back to you, but something gave me the
impression that I'd hear something more from you, and after a couple of days
it all slipped my mind - an all too common occurance ;-)

Anyway, to move on the V4 suggestion - hope it's not too late.  In case you
don't know, the USB DEC devices talk in PVA, which is nasty of them, but the
format is quite well supported in userspace applications.  In order to comply
with the V3 API the ttusb-dec driver is converting this PVA to TS in kernel
space.  This feels quite wrong to me.  IMHO the driver should publish its
format abilities for both input and output through the API so that things in
userspace can decide how best to use.  It seems crazy to be converting PVA to
TS if all you're going to do is pipe it straight to mplayer which handles PVA
just fine.

I know I might be going out on a limb here, since the DEC is currently the
only device using a format this far from the DVB standard.  Am I right in
thinking that the ttpci drivers do some data munging, albeit to a lesser
degree, though?  I think providing a userspace library for application
developers to use is the best way forward, similar to the way the ALSA
project do.  I'm sure it would help projects like VDR to keep up to date in
terms of the drivers they use too.  IMHO, providing backward compatibility is
going to become an increasingly important factor as DVB uptake increases, and
a userspace library would be a good start to achieving this, and the right
place to do it.

I'm aware that manpower is a big issue for this project (very aware, since
this is something I do in my spare time).  I'd really like to contribute to
development of the DVB core, but I'm feeling like a bit of an out of touch
with the project, probably because of the weirdness of my driver (USB and
PVA).  There are also holes in my understanding of DVB technology, for the
same reason I think.  Still, now would be a good time to throw me a bone,
since I'm in the mood for some coding.

Cheers,
Alex