[linux-dvb] Re: Running a DVB head-end with free software

The greatest challenge with this would be getting the TS out of the computer, it
would need to be to 'ASI', or sometimes SPI, electrical connection standards,
but the second is not prefered by most broadcasters. I doubt its much to
generate an off-line TS as I have seen many companies use this method for
testing and sometimes VoD transmission. I understand that hardware is
available, although when our R&D department started its MHP projects they built
their own because of the lack of suitable hardware on the market.

If someone did want to work on this project I'm sure some broadcasters,
including the one I work for, would be happy to conduct testing on various
devices of ASI output stream integrity and at a later stage even consider
running a test on-air using an occasional use satellite channel. The challenge
is generating a constant and cohearant TS in ASI form. There are people doing
this, but not in the open source domain that I am aware of.

Personally I'm just watching this group to understand whats happening out there,
afterall broadcasters can't always sit in our ivory towers beaming blindly into
space. Are any other broadcasters involved in this project or is it just STB
people? I'll probably put together a box in the near future for myself to play
with at home. :)

Bob

 ----- Message from gdelprete@tiscali.it ---------