[linux-dvb] Re: blocking FE_SET_FRONTEND ioctl in non-blocking mode

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 01:06, you wrote:
> > > However, looking back at it, I don't know if this is a good idea: (a)
> > > it has  the nonblocking blocking issue, and (b) a multithreaded app
> > > might have  different threads for tuning and for receiving data, in
> > > which case the  getting-old-TS-data problem would still occur.
> > >
> > > Anyone have an opinion on whether I should remove it?
> >
> > It sounds that this fix is trying to work around bugs in
> > userland software. If so, I'd say lets fix the user land
> > software instead, and remove the fix (at least some time later,
> > and maybe file a bug).
> >
> > If the fix also has something to do with the hw_sections=0 bug
> > (<http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2003/06-2003/msg00626.htm
> >l> ,
> > <http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2003/06-2003/msg00639.html
> >>) I think that you should leave it in.
>
> Yeah, thats exactly the behaviour its trying to fix.

We could remove it if people want - but it'll break anything which is
sensitive to the hw_sections=0 problem.

BTW: I only have budget cards, and they had the same issue, which is why I
added it.

So: remove+fix the userspace software to have a flag to ignore data until
tuning is completed (or something), or leave+have a long delay... or some
other solution. Suggestions?