[linux-dvb] Re: No time to load tda1004x firmware in current CVS (kernel 2.6.4)

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 05:44:32PM +0100, Timothy Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 May 2004 13:41, Michael Hunold wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On 05/12/04 12:49, Timothy Baldwin wrote:
>

> > > I can't load the firmware using the technique described in
> > > dvb-kernel/linux/Documentation/dvb/firmware.txt.
>
> > I admit that the file is outdated wrt. the tda1004x -- I'll commit an
> > update.
> >
> > Short how-to:
> > - make sure sysfs is mounted
> > - modprobe tda1004x
> > - cd /sys/class/firmware/[some weird numbers]
> > - echo 1 > loading
> > - cat [firmware] > data
> > - echo 0 > loading
>
> That works, if I uninstall hotplug, if hotplug is
> installed /sys/class/firmware/[some weird numbers] didn't exist.

Hotplug aborts the firmware upload if it cannot find the
firmware file (echo -1 > loading).

> It turns out hotplug was trying to load the firmware
> from /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/tda1004x.fw, however the firmware was
> installed in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/tda1004x.bin, in accordance with the
> instructions in dvb-kernel/linux/Documentation/dvb/firmware.txt. Link them
> together and it (hotplug) works.
>
> Is this a hotplug, dvb-kernel, or documentation bug?

Since the FW file was always called "tda1004x.bin" I would change the
name in the driver to match the documentation.

> What about the lousy error message?

request_firmware() doesn't return information about why it failed.
So tda1004x.c should not say "timeout" but rather just "failed".
Hotplug should probably print a message if it cannot find a firmware file.

Johannes