[linux-dvb] Re: Trying to get a ``polished'' MPEG stream from DVB

> This is the reason TS uses fixed-size packets and other things that
> make recovery easy.
>
> > Transcode and other mpeg utilities generally expect a
> perfect mpeg stream.
> > We're not able to supply one unless you convert the TS to
> mpeg with a
> > utility that can cater for unreliable input.
> >
> > It's worse if you demultiplex the stream into separate
> audio and video
> > streams before transcoding - a loss of a single audio frame
> can play havoc
> > with a/v synchronisation.
>
> Isn't that what PTS is for?
The demultiplexing I had in mind throws the PTS away (m2v/m2a). I think many
of the transcoding tools deal with audio and video separately, and don't
have the code to be able to correct breaks in the stream. That's been my
experience anyway.

But yes, you're right the information is there in the TS and PTS etc., but
utilities need to be use these properly if the output is to be of the
highest quality.

Chris