[linux-dvb] Re: [OT] Reality

On Friday 14 May 2004 23:45, Jerico Webmail wrote:
> Well, I can tell you we don't get any metadata for that here. :)

Not yet... ;)

> People controling the money seem to have not spoken to those who actually
> use this compression hardware. Can't wait to see the customer response when
> the new system goes on air...

Oh dear :) When management and reality collide... sure if MPEG-4 was used, no
probs... but alas next-to-nothing supports it yet.

Our cableco does squeeze 10 or so TV channels per 8MHz multiplex, but there's
a lot of QAM64 squishiness going on, so I guess the usable bitrate is higher
that with sateliite's QPSK, hence the quality is OK.

A lot of digital TV still annoys me - especially as you point out the problems
with smooth colour gradients, and whilst I don't see pure colour blocks, I do
see a lot of blockiness on the FTA channels who get lowest priority on the
statmuxing, but I also see it on national broadcasters (BBC ONE on DVB-T is
supposedly allocated 15Mbps if you believe the headers....) and it's a bit
saddening :/

At least the advantage is pure digital recordings that always replay at
precisely the same quality as they were received at.

So much for progress :)

Cheers,
Gavin