[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-C tuning

On Thursday 13 May 2004 20:49, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> What frontend are you using?
>
> Are you using the recent CVS code, or the drivers from kernel >2.6.4?
>
> If so, try adding:
>
> "options dvb-core dvb_override_tune_delay=300 dvb_frontend_debug=1"
>
> to modules.conf, or wherever is appropriate and see if it does any better.
> This will enable debugging, and increase the time spent whilst trying to
> lock to 300ms temporarily, which might be the issue here. If this is still
> unreliable, try increasing the dvb_override_tune_delay gradually until you
> find one which works (if you do that is).
>
> Can you let me know how it goes? If you find a value that works well, I'll
> add it in as the default for that frontend.

Hi guys, I figured out the problem! :)

Fortunately for the linux-dvb community, it wasn't the driver's fault. It was
the DVB-C broadcaster's fault. It was publicized WRONG modulation scheme
used. It is using QAM_128 instead the publicized QAM_64. I discovered it by
accidentally making a mistake when editing the file ~/.czap/channels.conf by
hand.

It was working in Windows, because the software has a scanning thing which was
detecting the correct modulation (unfortunately, the modulation was printed
as "3" so I could not recognize the true value).

So, just as a warning, for everyone in Tampere (Finland) who are using
linux-drivers to get DVB-C from "Tampereen Tietoverkko", please do not use
QAM_64 for the frequency 418 MHz (as publicized). Use instead QAM_128!!!

Sorry for the trouble guys, and thanks for your help!

Aurelian