[linux-dvb] driver for VP7041 VisionDTV Twinhan USB DVB-T

Hi list,

I recently bought a VP7041 and was asking on the mailing list, if someone
has a working driver or works on one.

Since I didn't receive an answer, I started to have a look.

At first I adapted the firmware loader by Peter Schildmann into a driver.
Then I began to reverse-engineer some basic commands.

Currently I'm able to tune to a frequency, read the remote control status
and check the signal strength and quality.

Because this is the first time that I'm doing reverse-engineering and this
is also the first time I'm writing a driver I would like to ask some
questions, this time especially about the transfer protocol. I will show
some examples and describe my assumed functionality. The goal would be,
that perhaps someone recognizes something and could point to some code or
docs.

Here I go:
( > - means to device, < - means from device)
query the remote control status:
> 04
< 5 bytes of status

------------------
setting frequency:
> 03 10 04 41 61 00
> 03 c2 XX XX 8e YY
> 03 10 04 41 61 80

XX XX = frequenxy
YY = 00, 03, 06 or 85 (depends on the frequency)

followed by a lot of
> 03 10 00 CC CC CC

whereas CC CC CC is either constant (as far as I can see it) or bandwidth
specific.

-----------------
The windows software has a signal strength and quality meter. This is
queried like this:

> 02 11 81 48 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 a7 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 a8 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 9e 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 9f 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 a4 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 7c 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 74 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 75 00 02
< VV VV
> 02 11 81 45 00 02
< VV VV

VV VV are the appropriate values for the quality.

Ok, so far about the protocol. If you need more, I could offer some snoop
logs.

I have some other questions about the linux dvb things, but before asking
them, I will crawl the archives.

When I'll have the driver ready for real tests, I wonder if it is possible
to add it to cvs to reach a wider user community. Or is there another
method to do so?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer.

best regards,
Patrick