[linux-dvb] Re: Patch: current I2C trasnition broke KNC1 type cards

Am Montag, 21. Juni 2004 01:08 schrieb Kenneth Aafløy:
> On Sunday 20 June 2004 19:45, Uli Luckas wrote:
> > This seems to be caused by the kernel I2C tarnsition recently done.
> > Frontends like stv0299 expect to find the exact card name in ((struct
> > i2c_adapter *) adapter)->name in order to adjust card handling to
> > specific differences.
> >
> > This aproach might need discussion, as I don't know, wether the actors
> > behind the I2C transition had another way to do this in mind. Please let
> > me know, if this was the way to go.
>
> Could not this be better handled by some binary identifyer for each
> cardtype? That is what it becomes after the string parsing at least.

Well, that would be nice. But as far as I understand the drivers are using the
kernel I2C API where we don't pass any data directly to the frontend. The
frontend is attached by the kernel which passes struct i2c_adapter.
This is why an existing field from i2c_adapter has to be abused here.

Regards
Uli

--
Support the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide