[linux-dvb] Re: [patch-rfc] frontend firmware

Hello Kenneth,

On 06/21/04 20:23, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
This patch implements firmware loading for frontends through a callback to the adapter. It probably is easier to just stuff the struct device into dvb_frontend, but I wanted to see the connection between the frontends and their adapters, so I did it this way. I've only modified the fw loading for the Microtune 7202D (sp887x) frontend, and it's untested as I do not have this frontend let alone DVB-T :)

Comments?
It's inevitable to switch over to kernel-i2c for the saa7146 based cards and let dvb-i2c vanish.

For the stv0299 and the tda1004x drivers, I already did these changes, ie. they use the kernel-i2c interface and the kernel-i2c adapters registered by av7110 and budget.

The big plus is, that kernel-i2c automatically does all the sysfs and kobject foo. In addition, it's very easy to use the firmware-loading facilities in conjunction with kernel-i2c.

Please have a look at the tda1004x driver, where firmware loading is implemented through the device member of the i2c client object.

Kenneth
In the short term, we should at least convert all drivers that need firmware to kernel-i2c.

CU
Michael.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index