[linux-dvb] Re: More than 4 DVB cards - again

Hi

Irek Defee wrote:
I mean you can send from a device to the network 400 Mb/s. I am not
based on speculation here.
So 400 in and 400 out plus overhead. That's 75% efficiency and not too bad.
I think the DVB adapters are limited to around 45Mbps per transponder so 6
cards of 45Mbps is only 270Mbps give or take some.

We were doing in the past experiments in
transferring data form disk arrays and RAMdisk to Gigabit Ethernet
network. This number was obtained for 32bit/33MHz PCI bus, different
transfer modes were not significant factor.
The actual network adapter may influence the overhead, but lets
assume you used the best available.

One other thing, the PCI bus is no longer the only mean of transfer
data externally...........
This is true, there are more advanced architectures which could provide more output. Even going to faster PCI buses: 66 MHz doubles the throughput and 64-bit doubles it again.
True and it will be interesting to see how well new GE-cards
will be connected into the CPU/Memory through this new serial
PCI bus (is it PCI-extended or PCI-express or PCI-X ? Anyway
the new serial PCI bus). Watch out for new boards.

I have one here with 5 slots, but I have a problem getting more than
4 receivers as mentioned in the beginning of the thread.
It is strange that this issue has been downgraded comparing to kernel
2.4. For me it’s a huge factor not to upgrade to 2.6:).
To me it was necessary to go to 2.6 due to SATA support and needed
bugfixes in the GE-adapter drivers not available for 2.4

But I would suggest to developers to  take this into account and provide
direct plug-and-play support for more than 4 cards. 6 PCI slots is the
maximum amount in PC motherboards which also have on-board network
adapter. Thus, it is natural to think that high-end installations
may include 6 cards. Then, there are also more exotic server boards
with several PCI buses and they could take more than 6 cards which
could also be considered.
I concur.

--PMM

Home | Main Index | Thread Index