[linux-dvb] Re: [linux-dvb-maintainer] msleep() and delay function (DVB)

Hello,

On 07/01/04 23:10, Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
[Not subscribed to linux-dvb, so please CC back if replying from that list]

I'm working on one of the KernelJanitor/TODO items, specifically converting appropriate calls to schedule_timeout() to msleep() calls (Addendum by Greg KH to original request by Matthew Wilcox (Calling yield() Considered Harmful)). In the process, I have run across the following code [dvb_functions.h::dvb_delay()]:
[snip]
I am wondering if dvb_delay() needs to run in TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE (it's not the only such case I am seeing right now, but it was the first - if anyone would like me to send the other cases, I'd be happy to). Obviously, if not, then it can be replaced with msleep() calls. If it must, then it probably should be updated to use set_current_state() and msecs_to_jiffies() like msleep() does.
I don't think it's ever necessary to be interruptible for us, so mdelay() is suitable.

The idea to have a dvb_delay() function once was to have a "os-independend" sleep-function, so the dvb-core can be compiled for other unix-flavours, too. Now that the dvb-core is in the mainstream kernel, dvb_delay() looks a little bit awkward.

This is my first try at Janitor-work, so please be patient.
Please send me a patch that kills dvb_delay(), replaces all uses and make a compile-time check. (I assume you don't have DVB hardware, right?)

I'll then give it a try and see if it works as before and take care to send the patch to Linus Torvalds / Andrew Morton.

Thanks,
Nish
CU
Michael.