[linux-dvb] Re: tda1004x.c and support of future firmware

Just to clear up some confusion I was having,

I incorrectly assumed that the different versions numbers for the drivers
available from the technotrend.de site, were indicative of different firmware
versions.
I now know this not to be the case.

But it appears that although the firmware version is the same (otherwise we
could not identify it by start/end markers), the position within the file
varies, I was hoping that the driver could be modified to search for THIS
firmware version WHEREVER IT APPEARS IN THE FILE.

Hope this is a little clearer :)

Many thanks,
  Luke.

On Friday 02 July 2004 11:32, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hello Luke,
>
> On 07/01/04 23:37, Luke Anderson wrote:
> > as you may be aware, the firmware for tda1004x is stored
> > in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/tda1004x.bin. However a problem arises
> > whenever a new firmware is released because the offsets are different
> > within that file.
> >
> > May I suggest that tda1004x.c be modified to explicitly search the
> > firmware file for the hex starting with 0x2F, 0xC6, 0x41 and ending with
> > 0x72,0xD6 so long as this length is 'roughly' 30554 bytes. Using this
> > information in determining the offset/length.
> >
> > This extra little bit of "intelligence" will support forseeable firmwares
> > and ensure this is no longer a problem which comes up in the forums :).
>
> In the following, I'll refer to the CVS version of the driver, not the
> driver within the official kernel. The driver in CVS already uses the
> kernel-i2c interface, while the version in the official kernel still
> uses thes the proprietary dvb i2c interface.
>
> My thoughts:
>
> 1. Rename the default firmware from "tda1004x.bin" to
> "dvb-fe-tda1004x-2.15a.fw". Add a comment that users should extract and
> rename their firmware appropriately.
>
> 2. Add a module parameter "firmware" which specifies the firmware file
> the driver should ask for. This can be used by users to override the
> default firmware location.
>
> > PS. I would write the patch myself but am not sure I'm capable.
> > Keep up the excellent work.
>
> You just need to extend tda10045h_fwinfo or tda10046h_fwinfo with the
> appropriate informations about the firmware you like to add. If there'll
> ever be two firmwares that have the same file_size, then we need to
> store some more informations to distinguish the different versions.
>
> >>The offset is 0x38EF9. The firmware starts with the bytes 0x2F, 0xC6,
> >> 0x41, is 30554 bytes in length and ends with 0x72, 0xD6.
>
> Hm, looks like you already have all the parameters needed.
>
> CU
> Michael.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index