[linux-dvb] Re: tda1004x.c and support of future firmware

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:32, Michael Hunold wrote:
> 1. Rename the default firmware from "tda1004x.bin" to
> "dvb-fe-tda1004x-2.15a.fw".

That's the Technotrend Windows driver version, not the DSP firmware
version.

>  Add a comment that users should extract and
> rename their firmware appropriately.
>
> 2. Add a module parameter "firmware" which specifies the firmware file
> the driver should ask for. This can be used by users to override the
> default firmware location.
>
> > PS. I would write the patch myself but am not sure I'm capable.
> > Keep up the excellent work.
>
> You just need to extend tda10045h_fwinfo or tda10046h_fwinfo with the
> appropriate informations about the firmware you like to add. If there'll
> ever be two firmwares that have the same file_size, then we need to
> store some more informations to distinguish the different versions.

Why do we use a Windows DLL anyway? Isn't it better to extract the dsp
firmware files from the DLL and call them e.g. "dvb-fe-tda10045.fw" and
"dvb-fe-tda10046.fw"? request_firmware() will store the file size in
fw->size and that's basically all one needs to know. The comparison of
the (hardcoded) firmware version in tda1004x_check_upload_ok is quite
useless IMHO.

Regards,
Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index