[linux-dvb] Re: Extra frontend statuswords (new ioctls?)

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
Hi,

frontends can currently return some information, such as BER,
STRENGTH, SNR. Every one of this values is assigned an ioctl
command.

I'm experimenting with getting more detailed info from one of
the frontends, by reading specific registers. Assuming I find
something interesting to return to applications, what is the right
way of implementing the reading of the new parameters?
Should I allocate new ioctl numbers?
Even in the (likely) case that the extension only apply to a few
frontends (possibly one)?
Both ways have been gone before for debug purposes: new proprietary ioctls and a special device node as debug hook. Since such code usually won't make it into the public tree it's up to your personal preferences which way to go.

Other frontends wouldn't break in any case, as they reject unknown
ioctl commands by default.
(BTW, current drivers disagree on the type of error: I've seen
-ENOIOCTLCMD, -EOPNOTSUPP, -EINVAL).
ENOIOCTLCMD and EOPNOTSUPP have a special meaning in the stacked frontend before/after ioctl code.

In any case it would be kind if somebody could review the code and check whether it's correct in all places.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index