[linux-dvb] Re: Firmware won't upload

Hi,

What version of the firmware are you using? When I was getting the
Nova-T to run, I read on http://horatio.aumund.org/index.php?p=531 (in
German) that version 2.17 of the technotrend firmware does not seem to
be working with the drivers. 2.15 and 2.16 should work fine. I use 2.16
as far as I can remember and it seems to work for me, although I have
not tried 2.17.

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 13:47, Q wrote:
> As you can see the devices do appear to be correctly listed. [...]
> However I am suspicious as to whether the OS
> actually sees these devices as real devices to begin with. The fact that
> they are there but the OS claims that they don't even exist, is to say
> the least bemusing.

Don't confuse device files with the devices actually present. Having a
"stray" device node without a corresponding device to it is not really
surprising. devfsd and udevd are trying to get rid of them, but nothing
prevents you from simply creating any device node by using mknod. This
having said, the kernel maintains a list of device major numbers in
/proc/devices so if you are not sure if a device is present you can
check there.

For example, cat /proc/devices on my machine yields
media:~# cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 /dev/vc/0
  4 tty
  5 /dev/tty
  5 /dev/console
  5 /dev/ptmx
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 13 input
 81 video4linux
 89 i2c
128 ptm
136 pts
202 cpu/msr
203 cpu/cpuid
250 DVB

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  7 loop
 22 ide1
254 device-mapper

which shows up DVB with major number 250 which is also the major number
of the device nodes that appear in /dev/dvb.

Hth,

Christoph Burger-Scheidlin

Home | Main Index | Thread Index