[linux-dvb] Re: V4 Demux Point

Johannes Stezenbach <js@convergence.de> wrote on 08/09/2004 11:08:59:

> Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com wrote:
> > Johannes Stezenbach <js@convergence.de> wrote on 07/09/2004 17:36:53:
> >
> > > We had demos running on a dbox2 (66Mhz ppc) and ARM Integrator
> > > (IIRC ~60Mz ARM7TDMI, with a full-featured av7110 in a PCI bus slot).
> > > But that was a while ago. Our current platforms have 150..200Mhz.
> >
> > Would I be correct in assuming that the dbox2 and ARM demos were/are
> > running the V3 Linux API?  Do you have full EPG and MHP running on the
> > 66Mhz ppc and/or higher spec platforms without any problems using the
V4
> > API?  Do you ever get loss of data?
>
> V3 (or so) on dbox2 is correct, but this was more than a year ago, and it
was
> demo stuff, not a full MHP. IIRC the EPG was fully implemented.
> Quite likely there was some data loss, since the whole MHP/Java
> stuff makes our application somewhat bloated ;-/ and CPU intensive.
> But due to the repetitive nature of DVB SI this is not a problem, it
> just slows things down some.

With MHEG or MHP that use DSM-CC to tranfer that data, missing information
can be quite costly in time as you have to wait for the data to come around
again.  If the broadcasters only have a low bit-rate feed, then this
emphasises the problem (very noticeable on some muxes in the UK).

> The point is: AFAIR the section data copying in dvb-core did not
> produce significant load (a few percent), even on low end boxes.
> It's nothing compared to the work you need to do for parsing
> the sections and processing the extracted information.

Right, I'll go away and try porting V4 the our existing h/w in my spare
time.  In the mean-time, would it be possible for someone to try porting V4
to say the dbox2 or other something so that we have a known reference?

Cheers,

Rob : )

Home | Main Index | Thread Index