[linux-dvb] Re: wiki?

On 08.09.2004 20:03, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Holger Waechtler wrote:
> >
> > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> > > Please don't!
> >
> > can you please elaborate your concerns a little more in detail?
> >
> > Holger
>
> Well, CVS works fine for me - I see no actual need to change that.
> I have to admit, though, that I have no personal experience with
> subversion. I just wouldn't change something unless that has _real_
> advantages. The fact that (according to Wolfgang Fritz's post just
> a few minutes ago) subversion doesn't even support branches and tags
> doesn't sound like this would be an actual improvement...

This is plain wrong. Subversion has tags and branches (They are the same
in subversion) but they have a different technical implementation. In
Subversion branches/tags are an integreal capability of the system
whereas CVS has to costly "emulate" them.

And as you (in the everyday work) only change "cvs -> svn" (All
important commands have the same name) there is only a very small
learning windos if you already knew/used CVS.

Creating a repo and initial(!) checkout is different, but normaly you
don't do such things on a dayly basis. :-)

2 years ago i did the transition from CVS to Subversion in only about 1
hour. (A college of mine did the "cvs2svn" conversion of our project. So
only had to "learn" to type svn instead of cvs)

> But of course, it's up to you what version control system you want to
> use. I'm usually just the "never change a running system" type ;-)

CVS is just bad. In my company whe are in the phase to phase our CVS
completly as subversion is the designated sucessor to CVS, activly
developed and doesn't has some conceptualy problems that CVS has because
of it's heritage.

The only known "disadvantage" compared to CVS (which will be eliminated
in the upcoming 1.1 version) is that you couldn't use subversion on a
NFS-share, but i wouldn't use a versioning-system via a NFS share.

Bis denn