[linux-dvb] Re: HOWTO: Cross compiling the dvb-kernel driver

    >> <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> writes:
    >>
    Klaus> Since my VDR machine is not the fastest one, and my working
    Klaus> machine is fast, but not (yet) running kernel 2.6, I have
    Klaus> tried to compile the latest dvb-kernel driver from CVS on a
    Klaus> machine running kernel 2.4.20. Here's how this can be done:
    >> Why not just use distcc.
    >>
    >> Marcus

    Klaus> I don't think that would help.  I have one slow and one
    Klaus> fast machine.  The fast machine doesn't run kernel 2.6, so
    Klaus> that's why I needed these changes.

    Klaus> Klaus

I always build the kernel for my subnotebook with distcc. This
includes always at least one server running with 2.4 kernel that contributes
to distcc. If I have more than the server running and Ralph has distcc
running on his machine than building a kernel takes almost no
time. The network has to be fast (at least 54MBit wifi) though. AFAIK
you only need to have the same gcc versions running on all machines.
If you leave the localhost out of the .distcc/hosts file you won't
even feel it on your local machine.

Marcus

PS: Using distcc can lead to addiction.

| mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodies                 <<<|

Home | Main Index | Thread Index