[linux-dvb] Re: [OT] subversion [Was: Re: wiki?]

On 09.09.2004 19:33, Wolfgang Fritz wrote:

> > For braching/taging (which are the same in subversion) you create (to
>
> Because branches and tags are technically the same in subversion, you
> can modify a "tag" if you not explicitely disable it. This is stricly
> against the the meaning of a tag: a snapshot of the repository. This can
> be extremely dangerous if you are not careful.

Ok. Point for you. I've not seen this as a problem. I see the positive
point here. If you tag something "live" you can always overwrite this
"live"-tag and get what is currently "live".

(In my company we develop a web-shop and the current version that is
"live" is always found in the "live"-branch. Currently we don't use
tagging but we are in the process to change the "live"-branch into a
"staging"-branch and later "tag" the staging-branch when is ready to go
online. So i see this as an advantage that you don't have to find out
which tag is the current-live version. It is planed to also tag
"live-YYYY-MM-DD-<Serial-Nr_if_there_should_be_many_changes_a_day_but_we_don't_hope_we_need_it>.
So that we can always find out when we have changed what and when it
went online. But as you can guess in a short period of time you are
flooded with tags and it would be a pain to look up the current version
if there weren't be a simple "live" tag you can just override. :-) )

But i guess that even in other SCM-System you do this via deleting and
"re"tagging.

So it's just easier to mess with subversion. :-)

Bis denn