[linux-dvb] Re: CX88 i2c issue w/ DVB tuners

On Sunday 12 Sep 2004 15:29, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> >>So you're suggesting using the i2c_adapter structure, but not registering
> >>it with the kernel? Gah, I wish I'd understood thats what you meant two
> >>days ago!
> >
> > Will this not cause problems with devices like the cx88 though - cards
> > using it can have other non-DVB i2c drivers which are registered with the
> > kernel i2c. I doubt they will work particularly well if they were given
> > an "unofficial" i2c_adapter.
>
> why?
>
> > In that case, it would have to be registered,
>
> why?

It sounds bad to me from a modularity point of view - we become enmeshed in
the guts of the kernel i2c core. Although linux is OSS, I don't like
bypassing the "standard" APIs and hacking about in internal structures unless
there is a necessity. By adding the flags I suggest to the i2c core for
disabling autoprobing, we can use the standard APIs.

Anyway, enough about that. _please_.

I'd like to get going with the new frontend stuff. Have you implemented any of
your frontend proposal yet? I was thinking about trying to convert the
tda1004x to using it and seeing how it went.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index