[linux-dvb] Re: video4linux converging with linux dvb

Hi,

On 29.09.2004 18:11, Gerd Knorr wrote:
So the next logical question is should both camps start to think about
collaborating together to form a single set of APIs that handle both
analog/digital cards as well as STBs?  AFAIK, the Linux DVB API was a
branch off from the V4L work a few years ago.  With both camps now looking
at supporting digital cards/STBs then it would make sense to remove
duplication of code and time.

WTF is STB?
STB = Set-Top-Box

STBs in some parts really differ from normal PCs, as we have already seen with the i2c adapter problem. The general purpose CPU, the MPEG decoder(s) and the DVB stuff are usually inside one big fat chipset, so there is no real need to do real device-to-device DMA for example; the data transfer is done via DMA internally.

Some STB chipsets have dedicated video encoders, some have it integrated on the main chipset, same goes for audio stuff.

One big problem is that big manufacturers use 3rd party Linux distributions, like the ones from Montavista. For some of our platforms, we have ancient 2.4.18 kernels with tons of security patches and 2.6 backports, where the DVB API must run. Of course we can run newer kernel, but sometimes you don't get support and need to find the problems by yourself (which doesn't neet to be a problem)

  Gerd
CU
Michael.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index