[linux-dvb] Re: video4linux converging with linux dvb

> There exist several scaler APIs that have been handcrafted for a
> particular STB. Unfortunally the last-generation STBs implemented very
> different scaler and analog encoder approaches, it was not really
> possible to make a good abstraction. v4l 1+2 mirrors only a tiny
> fraction of the possibility these chipsets delivered: video and
> stillpicture layers could get stacked in arbitrary orders, alpha blended
> or not, colorkeyed or not, in some cases even arithmetic functions
> (adding, saturation, ...) between layers were possible. In most cases
> these capabilities are coupled with serious limitations (layers were
> sometimes tied to particular decoders, sometimes limited to particular
> color depths and pixel formats) so that the same code won't work on two
> STBs.

Hmm, I don't think it makes that much sense trying to create a common
API then, it will either fail or be that complex that nobody uses it
anyway ...

Well, maybe some day the set-top boxes are powerfull enougth that you
can just use OpenGL (with the video frames as textures) to render the
stuff.

  Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;