[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

On Friday 01 Oct 2004 12:46, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:59:52AM +0100, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > On Friday 01 Oct 2004 08:49, you wrote:
> > > For the cx22702 you should be able to simply take the code from the
> > > v4l cvs ...
> >
> > Doh! I wish I'd remembered that.. I've already done that one.
>
> Would be nice if you can look at my stuff neverless and merge into
> linuxtv cvs as I did some other cleanups as well.
>
> I don't want to keep that fe driver in my cvs forever, its just a
> temorary thingy to make it easier for me.  Once the new FE interfaces
> are settled and merged into the mainline kernel I plan to drop it.

Sure, no problems.

> There are a few other, related and IMHO useful things which I'd like to
> see:
>
>  - move the header files out of drivers/media/dvb/core into include/media
>    (maybe include/media/dvb, but as they are prefixed with dvb
>    anyway include/media should be fine).

I think that will have to wait until the refactoring is merged back into the
mainline 'cos of the deficiencies of CVS. If only we were using SVN. I agree
it should be done though.

>  - rework Kconfig: don't ask the users which FE they want to build, but
>    enable the ones needed via "select" [1].  That makes it easier for the
>    users (you can't forget to enable the frontend, and you don't need to
>    know which one your card has) and also avoids the source being
>    cluttered up with "#ifdef CONFIG_DVB_<FRONTEND>".
>
> ciao,
>
>   Gerd
>
> [1] example:
>
> config VIDEO_CX88_DVB
>         tristate "DVB Support for cx2388x based TV cards"
>         depends on VIDEO_CX88 && DVB_CORE
>         select DVB_CX22702
>         ---help---
>         <help text here>

Yup, I've got all that planned. I'm concentrating on refactoring the frontends
first however - I'll move on to the adapters/Kconfig later. I only have the
sp887x/alps_tdlb7 left to do now however.

The stv0299 was fun to do :)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index