[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

On Friday 01 October 2004 15:49, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Please check the card list in the linuxtv wiki, most card types really
> come only with 1...3 demods used on this card.

From a quick check I counted 5 for dvb-ttpci.

> stripped-down frontend drivers are a few 100bytes ... 2.5kB which is
> kind of tiny compared to the i2c core. Most card drivers will get linked
> together with less than 3 frontend drivers.

I need a copy of your compiler, as it has an extremely effective size
optimizer :) Mine comes out as ~160kb without ksyms and with size opt.

> > Use the default construct instead, which makes it possible to deselect,
> > but 'reminds' the user that it's probably a good idea to select this
> > item.
>
> This pushes the responsibility of analyzing the hardware to the user
> back again. Since most cards don't have printed on their metal can which
> demodulator is inside this is quite a hard task for many users (and I
> admid that I would not accept this as user too - ).

From the Kconfig help:

          If you don't know what tuner module is soldered on your
          DVB adapter simply enable all supported frontends, the
          right one will get autodetected.

If the user is so stupid that he/she does not follow the help when he/she has
no clue, the user deserves to have problems when compiling their own kernel.

Kenneth

Home | Main Index | Thread Index