[linux-dvb] Skystar 2 hangs computer

Hi!

I have big trouble with my SkyStar 2 (2.6C) Card:
When I record something with vdr, I just ended up with many
zero-sized XXX.vdr files, as vdr exits with an error and gets immediately
restarted, just to abort again. In the vdrportal.de Forum I read that this is
due to the automatic demod shutdown of the card, so I changed the vdr script
in a way that the module is unloaded and reloaded after every vdr abort.
But this regularly hangs the whole Computer, no Magic SysReq works, I have to
hit the reset button. Sometimes it records small portions of video (10-15
min). Actually, the computer froze again while writing this message (vdr
resumed the recording after reboot, luckily my MUA saved a backup)

I heard there was something like a "SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT" Module option, but
modinfo doesn't report it (according to the people in the vdr-portal.de
forum, it  doesn't solve the problem anyway).

So, is there a way to keep the card "alive" w/o reloading the module? If not,
is there a trick to reload the modules many times w/o hanging the computer?
I already tried to move the card to another PCI slot, this didn't work. As I
have an extra fan to cool the card, I rule out thermal problems, too.

Info from /proc/interrupts:
           CPU0       CPU1
 0:     639901         19    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:       3754          0    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          4          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 12:       8316          0    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:      10008          1    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:       4975          1    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:       3278          1   IO-APIC-level  sym53c8xx, Skystar2
 17:       6448          1   IO-APIC-level  eth0, eth2, eth3, eth1
 18:      18983          0   IO-APIC-level  fcpci
NMI:          0          0
LOC:     639889     643605
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

BTW: Are the DVB drivers SMP-safe?

Kernel: 2.6.9-rc3 with kernel dvb (I had the same problem with
2.6.7+dvb-kernel CVS from ca. 2 weeks ago, as well as with 2.6.8.1).  The
card worked flawlessly before with 2.6.7 and a much older CVS version, but I
don't remember the date for cvs -D :-(

Attached, there is the output from lspci. I'm sorry I can't give you logs from
just before the lockup, as no HD buffers are flushed.

Thanks for any hints..

Ciao

Martin