[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

Michael Hunold wrote:

Hi,

On 07.10.2004 23:51, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

* Kernel i2c code removed from frontends.

I see that you do firmware loading through the pci device. This does not
work with the dvb-ttpci driver, because it already requests the firmware
this way.

This is a reply to an old mail.

I've just tested loading two firmwares on the same device with request_firmware(). As long as they have different names, there is absolutely no problem - the kernel definitely returns the correct (different) data for each filename.

I don't see this problem myself - am I missing something?

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the noise.

So should we put the firmware request inside the device driver and pass the data to the init function?

This would be nice.

Are there different boards with the same frontend that need different firmwares to work?

The card driver should always be able to access all infos (version strings from EEPROMs, PCI device id's, USB device version numbers etc.) that are required to select the right firmware version.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index