[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

On Sunday 10 Oct 2004 17:57, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> >>no. that's just the reason why it's not portable, not testable in a
> >>userspace mockup and hardly portable to other OSes like MacOS-X and BSD.
> >>The new approach without dependencies to kernel APIs is much nicer.
> >
> >You lose portability yes.  I don't care much, especially in case of the
> >cx88 driver which is linux specific anyway.  I want to be able to write
> >a *good* linux driver, with full suspend+sysfs support, and I simply
> >have to use the kernel i2c infrastructure for that.
>
> no, you don't have to. Finish the dvbdev sysfs implementation and you
> will get proper sysfs nodes even for you demod, decoder and networking
> devices, not only for the frontend.

I would prefer to have a proper sysfs for the DVB - I really don't like having
things randomly scattered about all over sysfs. For example, some of the
frontends created extra sysfs device files for configuration - these ended up
attached to some unrelated (to the end-user) i2c device instead of descending
from the DVB stuff.

At the moment I have temporarily disabled these sysfs files as they weren't
critical. Perhaps someone on the list might want to look into finishing off
the sysfs interface so we can resolve this properly once and for all?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index