[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 11:53:31AM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> I think Andrew wrote this:
> > Any frontend configuration files/power management stuff is then
> > attached to those entries so that the card can bring up the frontend
> > in its entirety in one go. This also allows for frontends attached to
> > proprietary weirdy buses that have no standard kernel representation.
>
> Wrong approach.  The powermanagement doesn't care about the /dev/class
> tree (where you register the frontend (unix) device), it walks the
> physical devices below /dev/devices.  And that is one of the reasons why
> I think it is a good idea to have the i2c devices in the (physical)
> device tree.

Well, if the i2c bus and the devices on the bus aren't exposed
at all in sysfs, then the DVB adapter driver could take care
of it when called via PCI bus power management hooks. I don't
think this is a good design, but it would work for PCI cards.

What I'm worried about is how this would work on embedded STBs
where the i2c bus driver *is* implemented via kernel i2c, and
we can't change that because there are lots of other devices
on the bus.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index