[linux-dvb] Please help with frontend kernel driver queries

I thought I'd try bumping this in case anyone who is able to help missed
it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, since I still do not understand
how the frontend kernel side driver API works:-( If I had a working dummy
driver that would be a start. Can anyone advise how to get that working at
least?

Thanks,

Mark

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Mark Watson wrote:

> I have my driver working now in that I can run dvbtraffic and see the
> number of packets etc. However it seems I need to register a frontend to
> do anything interesting (I hacked scan to work without, but don't really
> want to do that to everything!). I tried getting the driver to work with
> the dummy frontend, but am having no luck... I can't find any drivers with
> useful comments on how this is done:-(
>
> It appears that the DVB code always uses i2c to communicate? At least
> dvb_register_frontend code seems to play with i2c always? Seems strange
> since thats a a 2 wire inter chip thing. I don't know a great deal about
> it besides writing a simple bit toggling thing to talk to the Maven chip
> on the G400...
>
> All I want from the frontend is to provide enough so that most DVB
> software things it is talking to a real frontend. Possibly later I want to
> let it know which transponders are available and get a call to request
> transponder change. Is that possible?
>
> Would I be best off just writing a driver on the adaptor0/frontend0
> major/minor to reply to the standard ioctls? Or does calling
> dvb_register_frontend etc. give me any benefit?
>
> Lastly how do the calls to do with connect fe_mem and fe_hw in the driver
> relate to the frontend? I put them in my driver since they seem to be
> standard, but I don't have a clue what they do!
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Home | Main Index | Thread Index