[linux-dvb] Problems with FE_DISHNETWORK_SEND_LEGACY_CMD

Greetings,

I am currently experimenting with trying to get a Nova-S card working
with a legacy Dish Network switch (an SW21, to be precise.)

I am running kernel.org 2.6.9 with the latest CVS dvb-kernel and dvb-
apps. The card is plugged into the cable that less than a day ago was
feeding one of my two dish receivers, so I know the cabling, switch and
dish are all working normally.

For my tests I hacked up setup_switch() in dvbscan to lookup the
appropriate legacy command based on the switch position and polarization
and then send the command with:

ioctl(frontend_fd, FE_DISHNETWORK_SEND_LEGACY_CMD, cmd);

I then created some simple data files pointing at known operational
transponders on Echostar 6 (110W) and Echostar 7 (119W):

# Echostar 6
S 12224000 R 20000000 5/6

# Echostar 7
S 12297000 L 20000000 5/6

I'm running dvbscan like this:

./dvbscan -v -s 0 -l DBS -i 0 e6

However no matter what i enter for switch position parameter (the -s)
the resulting data stream always claims to have Network Name 'EchoStar
119 West', so I am assuming the switch is not flipping to the alternate
input. From my debugging output I can verify that the correct command
code is being passed to the ioctl. By experimenting with changing the
polarization settings in my data files I can also confirm that the
polarization switch is working properly (setting it deliberately wrong
causes dvbscan to not lock, as you'd expect.)

So I guess my question is...has anybody actually used this ioctl
successfully? If so is there some other magic I need to do to make the
switch obey the commands? I pretty much jumped in here with both feet so
I could very well be missing an important step. :)

--
Joshua M. Thompson <funaho@jurai.org>

Home | Main Index | Thread Index