[linux-dvb] Re: Before I buy

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 02:44:40PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm new to this list.
> >
> >I'm thinking about buying a DVB-T card but am unsure about a few
> >things. My main purpose of having such a card is to record from TV in
> >good quality and watch the recordings later. When I'm watching TV I
> >usually do so in a small window while using the computer for other
> >things, so this can be done with the present analogue TV card.
> >
> >The main question is: Is it ok to buy a budget card (like the
> >Avermedia 771) or is it for some reason essential to have at least one
> >non-budget (do they have a name?) card.
> >

> the only reason for having FF card WAS to use VDR, but now that there
> are so many output plugins I doubt
> they can be preferrable at all

Hmmm ... IMHO a FF card also has the advantage of an idle CPU
most time which avoids required and therefore noisy fan(s).
Only a good and passive cooled VGA-Card, with a Mpeg2/Mpeg4
HW decoder together with TV-out (RGB/S-Video on scart) or for
the future a DVI-out to support modern TV sets, would be an
argument.

This because the only good fan is _no_ fan ;^)

        Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/
Howto http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=1958