[linux-dvb] Re: lots of TS continuity errors + SuSE 9.1

matthias@bodenbinder.de(Matthias Bodenbinder)  20.11.04 15:23

>On Saturday 20 November 2004 15:10, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 10:31:55AM +0100, Matthias Bodenbinder
>>> I am getting lots(!) of TS continuity errors on my system when I
>>> record for example ZDF.
>>> Oct 31 00:20:00 racoon vdr[8435]: cTS2PES got 0 TS errors, 173 TS
>>> continuity errors
>>>
>>> Everything worked fine with SuSE 8.x. No problems at all. The
>>> problems started with upgrading to SuSE 9.1. Almost every channel
>>> reproduces the errors but ZDF is the worst.
>>>
>>> Viewing the live picture via vdr is just fine. No errors, no
>>> skipping. But as soon as I start a recording the live picture
>>> starts to skip and I am getting these continuity errors. Needless
>>> to say, that the recordings are useless.
>>
>> Can you check that you have DMA enabled on your disks?
>>
>> Sounds like you are losing packets due to fifo overflows or similar.

>DMA is on on all IDE devices.

Ok, that was step 2.
Now step one: ;-)

What values does a test with "hdparm -t -T" deliver?
(Backgroaund: If your new distribution does not contain the
right driver, linux falls back to PIO mode...)

# hdparm -T -t /dev/hda7

/dev/hda7:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.79 seconds =162.03 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.44 seconds = 44.44 MB/sec

try at least twice

I'm pretty sure that you system will only have values
significantly below 10MB/s (typ.2..4MB/s).
That indicates "PIO Mode".

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich
             //
           //