[linux-dvb] Re: Problem switching transponder in linux_2_4

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

I'm trying to switch from the old DVB driver to dvb-kernel.
Since I still use a kernel 2.4 based system I'm using the
dvb-kernel CVS driver version labeled "linux_2_4" as of
yesterday.

Although my initial tests yesterday looked good, I have meanwhile
encountered a problem. Sometimes, when zapping through channels
with VDR, channels on some transponders don't get tuned to
(black picture, no sound). If I then switch back and forth between
channels on the broken transponder and channels that work, at some
point the transponder actually does get tuned to and I get a picture and
sound.

The problem happens with Werner Fink's latest firmware, but also
with the firmware version before that one, so I guess it is not
firmware related. Needless to say that I don't have that problem
with the old DVB driver.

Can any of the driver developers imagine what could be causing this?
Was there maybe a fix in the 2.6 driver version that wasn't included
in the linux_2_4 branch?

My DVB device is a Siemens DVB-S Rev. 1.3.

After having this driver run for a whole night, my second and third
DVB card (a budget WinTV NOVA-S and another FF Siemens DVB-S Rev. 1.3,
respectively) apparently "died" at around 05:00 this morning. That's
what I can see from the system load log here - normally these cards
do EPG scans, which causes a low load, but as of 05:00 this morning
that load was gone, and I wasn't able to get any more data from either
of these cards (tested via Transfer mode). My primary card was still
working this morning.

After a driver reload everything worked ok again (except for the occasional
failures as described above).

So apparently this not only happens with FF cards, but also with
budget cards (so the firmware can be ruled out). I also tried this:
as soon as my primary card failed when switching channels, I have set
the CA parameter of that channel to '1' and started a recording on
that channel, which forced the recording to take place on the
primary card. Just as I had expected, there was nothing recorded.
So this problem has nothing to do with live view. It must be something
in the driver that completely messes up things.

I'm getting the feeling that the dvb-kernel driver doesn't like me.
This is my second serious attempt of switching from the old DVB driver
to the dvb-kernel version, but again I'm having trouble that prevents
me from considering this driver for every day use.

Looks like it's "back to the good old DVB driver" again... :-(

Klaus
Well, I'm pretty much talking to myself here in this thread, but
it looks like I've (again) fallen victim to the different sequences
in which the DVB and dvb-kernel driver count the devices. With DVB
the sequence here was

 1 FF
 2 budget
 3 FF

while with dvb-kernel it is

 1 FF
 2 FF
 3 budget

Therefore what I said above about this problem also occuring with
budget cards is probably not correct.

Anyway, joerg@hakker.de suggested in a posting (that unfortunetaly
broke the thread) to set pids_off=1 - and ever since I did this, I
haven't had this problem any more :-)

Maybe one of the driver developers can throw in a few thoughts on why
this makes such a difference, and whether this is a driver problem
or VDR might be doing something wrong.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index