[linux-dvb] Re: Reading in 188 byte chunks?

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 07:51:26PM +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> > The API-documentation says that reading from /dev/dvb/adapterX/dvrY is to
> Where exactly do the docs say that? Because if they are wrong and
> must be corrected.

That would be good news to me.  Seems that I am just mis-reading it.
I refer to http://www.linuxtv.org/download/dvb/linux-dvb-api-1.0.0.pdf,
section 3.2.3, where the read() call to the dvr device is described:

  When returning section data the driver always tries to return a
  complete single section (even though buf would provide buffer space
           ^^^^^^
  for more data).

Hmm, now that I have re-read it several times with the context of
your answer in my mind, it seems to me that my mis-understanding has
to do with "section data" vs "PES data".  Seems that PES (set with
DMX_SET_PES_FILTER) has 188-byte-blocks while sections (set with
DMX_SET_FILTER) have 4096-byte-blocks.  Unfortunately, the API doc
don't say much abot the various stream/packet types/lengths.  Where
can I find more information about this topic?

--
Please visit and sign and http://www.ffii.org
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --

Home | Main Index | Thread Index