[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: audio.c patch

Hello Michael,

> Hm, this sounds bogus. MP2 audio has always a fixed frame size (have a
> look at mpegaudio.c)
You are right but the exception is 44100Hz sampling rate. In this case a
padding byte will be inserted now and then.

> Can you upload a few megabytes of that stream to anywhere, so I can have
> a look?
I could if you give me an ftp address to upload it to.

> Most likely it will have side effects. Did you try if "dfb_ts" still works?
No. Can I play a file with it? I don't have a DVB card. Maybe I should get
one :-).
I tried to play a stream with 48Khz audio layer2 and 720x576 video.
The audio decodes with no problems but I still have this jerky playback.
This might be related to some wrong fb settings.
BTW I double checked with mplayer and there it plays with no problems.

> This looks bogus. The check d->as.len >= ac.frame_size doesn't make any
> sense anymore, when you later write out the whole d->as.len bytes
> because you think the frame size is not constant. Against what frame
> size does this "check" compare?

Yes agreed, it's not totally clean. But since the frame size only differs 1
byte (or 4 in layer1) the worst case would be that one frame is missed, but
remains in the buffer and will be decoded in the next round. I just didn't
want to check the header of each frame.

regards Carsten