[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Which video card will work?

Hello Peter,

On 03/06/04 14:19, Peter Urbanec wrote:
The problem actually doesn't seem to be with softmpeg - it's more to do with DirectFB. I have an NVidia MX440 card which does not have a VESA2.0 compliant BIOS. As a result, I can't get DirectFB going.

I am looking for an alternative card. Any recommendations for particular models that are known to work with DirectFB + softmpeg?
http://www.directfb.org/modules.xml

Current development platforms are Matrox G4x0 and VIA CLE266.

I guess, the alternative question is, any ideas on how long before softmpeg can use xv / xvmc to render video?
Please note that one of *my* design goals for libsoftmpeg was to have the best possible tv-out experience.

Currently, this is can be verified with the tv-out of a Dualhead G4x0 and the VIA cle266. (The cle266 output is currently a little bit squeezed, but our expert is working on it)

At the moment, DirectFB is heavily used for tricks with the vertical blank interval to ensure a 100% smooth picture. Additionally, FusionSound is used, which currently depends on DirectFB, so your gfx context is stolen when a libsoftmpeg application is initialized (ie. no x server running concurrently)

Before anyone can start porting libsoftmpeg to Xv, the core has to be modularized and some of the dependencies have to be made optional.

Thanks,
   Peter.
CU
Michael.