[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Which video card will work?

Andreas Kotes wrote:
Hello,

* Niklas Peinecke <n.peinecke@web.de> [20040309 08:33]:

I am looking for an alternative card. Any recommendations for particular models that are known to work with DirectFB + softmpeg?
I have tested libsoftmpeg with two ATI Mach64 cards, one without TV out one with TV out. Both worked ok (haven't done much testing, yet). These cards do not need active cooling and you can get them for about 5-10 EUR at ebay.

Nevertheless, it doesn't work with an x-server simutanously (atyfb clash with X driver). You need a different boot setup.

did you try using XDirectFB?

   Count

Well, if you mean the "fbdev" driver for X: yes. I managed to get it running with 8-Bit colordepth and KDE, but there was no xv extension, so I considered it rather pointless of using, if not for quick maintainance or similar. With 16/24/32-Bit the screen was colored in shades of green, with 8-Bit and Windowmaker lots of colors were missing and thus had to be dithered (very ugly). With "native" drivers for X (ati or ati from gatos) while running atyfb redraw was bogus, resulting in partially undrawn windows and broken fonts inside console windows.

Nevertheless there's no real point in using X and dirctfb at once, so I can live with two boot-setups pretty well, ever since both can have identical karnel with different parameters.

Niklas