[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Current project status

Michael Hunold wrote:

> The next big step is to add real trickmode capabilities, ie.
> - realtime reverse playback
> - fast forward and rewind (user configurable, up to 8x)
> - user defined skips
>
> I need to play around with libavcodec first, because these things need a
> lot of cooperation within the mpeg decoder. If you know the structure of
> mpeg video, just think of the horror around realtime reverse playback. ;-)

I don't have hands-on experience with it, but libmpeg3
(based on Aaron Holtzman's libmepg2) claims to be able
to do trickmodes and everything else Cinelerra needs.

http://heroinewarrior.com/libmpeg3.php3

Maybe one can learn some tricks from reading the libmpeg3 source.

Johannes