[mpeg2] Re: Kfir Mpeg2 to SVCD

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Andrew Stevens wrote:
> > <Toot my own horn>
> > At the moment I don't think there is a combination of MPEG decoder
> > and encoder for linux that can generate SVCD MPEG2 from full
> > resolution (704 or 720x576) MPEG-2.  However, in a few days there will
> > be.... ;-)
>
> I think mpeg2movie can do it?
>
> http://heroinewarrior.com/mpeg2movie.php3

Actually, now that you mention it you're probably right.  I think the
latest version can transcode. The encoder part is even based on the
same original MSSG reference encoder.  I'd like to have contributed to
that rather than build something new but the developer didn't seem
interested in answering emails and so I moved on. I think mpeg2movie
still uses the original not-so-hot motion-compensation and rate
control code.  It does some nice multi-threading but (last I looked)
is still pretty light on MMX (etc) routines.

Andrew

Home | Main Index | Thread Index