[mpeg2] Re: Kfir2 card status

Armin Schindler writes:
 > On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > > Armin Schindler writes:
 > >  > Hi,
 > >  >
 > >  >   I just subscribed this mpeg2 list because
 > >  > I'm very interested in encoding a video/audio source
 > >  > to watch it using my DVB-S card. The real-time encoding
 > >  > with SAMPEG-2 seems not to be what I need (CPU too slow ?).
 > >  >
 > >  > So the hardware encoder Kfir seems to be what I need.
 > >
 > > Which Kfir version are you talking about?
 > > In your subject line you mention the Kfir2. THe BMK card does NOT use
 > > the Kfir2 but the older Kfir1.
 >
 > I wasn't aware of Kfir1, because visiontech only shows information
 > about Kfir2. What is the difference and can Kfir2 used with the driver
 > too ?

No, you cannot use the Kfir2 with the driver.

The differences are that the Kfir1 has no built-in PCI bridge and no
audio encoding (but the card includes an ADSP for hardware MPEG Layer
I and II encoding). The Kfir2 can even do AC3.

The Kfir2A has additional MPEG2 decoding, which both the Kfir2 and
Kfir1 do not have.

 > >  > Can this card solve my problem ?
 > >  > Is BMK the only distributor for this card ?
 > >
 > > The only one we are aware of.
 > > There are other cards which use the Kfir1 like the Hauppauge WinTV PVR
 > > but there are no Linux drivers for this card yet.
 >
 > I think the Kfir card will do it. What are your experiences with
 > Kfir ?

For my personal applications, e.g. archiving some old video tapes, it
works really well. Some people seem to have problems with certain
motherboards, mainly VIA chipset based ones, but for me it works fine on
an ABIT KT133.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index