From: mpeg2-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:mpeg2-bounce@linuxtv.org]On
Behalf Of Ralph Metzler
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 5:24 PM
To: amit.tank@patni.com
Cc: mpeg2@linuxtv.org
Subject: [mpeg2] Re: Kfir API docs

Amit Tank writes:
 > one more thing to ask you.
 > I am writing a MPEG stream server (that wud reside in a Set-Top Box)
 > for a client.
 > I shall need to finally dump the Kfir driver on the 8MB ROM chip.
 > But I am concerned about the licensing stuff.
 > To the best of my knowledge the Kfir Board maker firm has been acquired
 > by some other company and those guys have dropped the support for this
 > board.
 > So I guess u cud be the right person to clarify the licensing terms.
 > do you plan to put it under GNU/GPL ?

No. The firmware is owned by Visiontech (AFAIK, part of Broadcom now)
and they specifically did not allow us to distribute the firmware with the
Linux driver. That's why you have to extract it yourself from the Windows
DLL.
Sorry, but without their permission you probably will not be able
to distribute it. If each firmware copy is bundled with a Kfir
chip/card this might of course be different to our situation where
the driver is offered independently from the card.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index