[vdr] Re: Commands executed in connection with timers

Mathias,

    When they do get to the point that you can easily hear them, even over the white
noise from all the fans, then thats a pretty good sign that they are approaching
failure.  I have seen some that do whine yet still stay healthy for quite some time,
but thats the exception, not the rule.  I'd be leery of any drive making that amount
of noise.  I really haven't seen any drive manufactured fairly recently ( say, within
the last 3-4 years or so ) ever do this though.  It was fairly common to see the
occasional noisy drive prior to that time.  About the time drive capacities started to
climb dramatically, the overall quality ( and quietness(g) ) improved too...  your
mileage may vary though...

        Bill

Mathias Born wrote:

> Thursday, September 20, 2001, 12:10:03 PM, William E. Mrozinski wrote:
>
> WEM> [...]
> WEM> Its almost impossible to hear a hard drive spinning unless you place your ear
> WEM> directly on top of it.  The noise you hear is the cpu and/or power supply
>
> Hm, my HD creates a sound in a noticable frequency range (high
> frequencies) that disappears after spinnung down the disk.
> Despite the power supply fan I can hear it and it's very very
> annoying.
> The disks in my other machine don't show this behaviour.
>
> --
> Tbs,
>  Mathias Born

Home | Main Index | Thread Index