[vdr] Re: Timer-Problems

Am 23.09.2001 11:11:14, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de>:

>I believe you're totally missing the point of the watchdog function.

I believe that it's not necessary to completely restart the program when it is just 'sleeping' and still
reacting on the user-input. It think it would be more interesting to find out WHERE it is sleeping
and finding a way to automatically wake it up instead of restarting.

>As long as VDR runs "normally", the main loop will be executed every few seconds,
>and then the watchdog timer will be reset.
>As soon as the watchdog timer hasn't been reset for the number of seconds specified
>in the '-w' option, the SIGALRM signal is sent to VDR and handled in the Watchdog()
>function. The only thing that makes sense to do there is to immediately exit from the
>program, because any other action (like checking if there is a recording going on etc)
>might cause yet another hangup - and then there would be nothing else that could
>make VDR recover from it.

What I've done now is applying your LinearTime-patch with a few changes... I set the check
very short (10 seconds instead of 300) and I simply commented out the exit(1)-function in the
watchdog so that the watchdog will not kill the program but just log.
Starting with '-w 60' I get the following:

Sep 23 16:17:53 vdr vdr[7781]: PANIC: watchdog timer expired - exiting!
Sep 23 16:17:53 vdr vdr[7781]: ERROR: time warp detected (60 seconds)
Sep 23 16:17:53 vdr kernel: mon_complete(1): freq=1178000000, sr=27500000, realfreq=
1178000000, step=1 , fdiff=0, fec=3

Well... what we can see here is that somehow vdr is blocked, and we can see that after the
watchdog hits the Linear-check is active again. VDR is always up and running, at least on the
visible side on the TV.. I can switch, I can call the menu, I can replay. The only visible problem is
that after switching channels I either have to press the event-info away with OK or in the other
case the event-info disappears to fast for being readable.
I will see now how the timers will work with this config...

Greetings,   Marcus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index