[vdr] which driver / vdr version should I use

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [vdr] which driver / vdr version should I use (01-Jan-2002 22:51)
From:    s_freese@ira.uka.de
To:      vdr@linuxtv.org

> Hello,
>
> As there are several driver and vdr versions and some well known problems
> like "channel switching", "ARM crash", that lead to a restart of vdr
> (->broken recording) or even a state where the user has to reboot the
> system manually, my question:
>
> Which driver/vdr combination should I use that has least of this "heavy"
> problems?

Just for Information, i never had such heavy problems.

My vdr-pc will be resetted by shell-script after vdr exit.
A reset occurs every 1-3 days.

> I use Suse 7.3, Kernel 2.4.9, two DVB cards and the system is a K6II-300.

Wich Revision of DVB-Cards ? As of what i red here in the list
the Rev. 2.1 / Nova cards are producing more errors.

I used the following combination for about 1/2 year:

DVB-Driver 0.82 + VDR 0.72.
Mandrake 7.2, Kernel 2.2.17, two DVB-cards Rev. 1.3, P166/C400, BX-Chipset.

Some days ago i switched to:

DVB-Driver 17-11-2001 with still-picture-patch + VDR 0.98.
Debian Woody, Kernel 2.4.16.

> P.S: Maybe one should create a html-page somewhere in the web that lists
> all combinations and short "user test reports" that contain the main
> problems with this combination?

Would be very helpful. When i was thinking of updating my system some days ago
i was running after such information. I guess the majority of the vdr-users
doesn't face such problems, that's why you never read something from
them here in the list.

> Thanks and bye,
> Uwe.

...Andreas